Wednesday 25 November 2009

Hello World!

Hello to anyone who stumbles across this,

I've started this blog as a place for venting my thoughts about things that enlighten, enrage, excite or entertain me. I hope it may be of interest to others too, but simply saving my friends and family from suffering my constant gibbering will mean that this enterprise will have been a success and of great service to the cause of reducing suffering in the world.

So, a little bit about me..
  • I'm a physical scientist.
  • I'm male.
  • My political views are generally liberal.
  • My religious views are best summed up by Douglas Adams: "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
  • My views are definitely not fixed. I don't take offence easily and try to welcome informed criticism of my ideas.
I can be contacted by electronically delivering messages to <one without a name> dot bloger at the service provided by google.

That will do as an introduction for now. I look forward to posting some more soon!

2 comments:

Monado said...

You're new here, aren't you? I was reading your cogent arguments about religion on New Scientist and followed you back here, wandering what "Carnifex" means--my Latin is more than a little rusty. Fleshmaking?

Welcome to the blogosphere!

When you get leery of the way Blogger can evaporate your blog on the grounds of an anonymous complaint, there's always Wordpress.

Anonymous Bloger said...

Hi and thanks for the welcome. I am indeed new to this.

Your guess at the meaning of 'carnifex' is not too bad - the carni bit does indeed directly translate as flesh. However, 'carnifex' is normally translated as 'executioner'. The blog title should translate as "Executioner of Irrationality" but given how ambiguous translations from latin can be there are a quire a few valid translations.

I do hope my blog doesn't get 'vaporised' - Have you had trouble with that?